Childbirth is a significant event for both body and mind. Childbirth brings a new soul into the world and starts the journey for two others. Hence it is important to ensure adequate importance is given to care and nurturing of both the child and the mother. According to Ayurveda the first 42 weeks is an important time period for the growth and well-being of both the child and also plays a significant role in the bond with the mother.
The postpartum period, known as “Sutika Kala ” in Ayurveda, is a transformative and delicate phase in a woman’s life that demands special attention to both physical and emotional well-being. Rooted in ancient Indian wisdom, Ayurvedic postpartum wellness and recovery offer a holistic approach to nurturing and rejuvenating new mothers during this critical time. Ayurveda recognizes that the postpartum period is not only about the health of the mother but also the foundation for the health and growth of the newborn. Ayurvedic principles and practices that promote healing, balance, and strength for new mothers as they embark on their postpartum journey, offering a comprehensive roadmap to support their physical and emotional recovery.
Ayurvedic tips for postpartum wellness and recovery
Postpartum is a crucial time period after childbirth where special attention should be given to the mother for proper rejuvenation and recovery. It is also a critical time for the mother to bond with the child. During this time the mother adjusts both physically and mentally. The Ayurvedic treatments for postpartum are holistic and help the mothers to return to their lives. Some of the tips for postpartum wellness in Ayurveda are:
Get plenty of Rest
Since the body is in recovery to return to its pre-pregnancy state, one of the easiest and most crucial ways to ensure there is plenty of rest. The body has just gone through a major event, and it needs time to recover. Aim to get at least 8-10 hours of sleep per night, and take naps during the day whenever possible. This helps the body to rejuvenate and recover. This also helps to heal the body and also build hormonal balance. During this time the mother can seek the help of friends, family, and life partners for other work and focus on resting and recovering.
Revitalize with Dietary changes
Like rest another way for revitalizing the body is through a healthy diet. Ayurveda recommends following a diet that helps build energy and also balances the doshas, specifically the vata dosha, whose imbalance is seen after childbirth. The Ayurvedic tips for a healthy diet are:
- Warm and Nourishing Foods: In Ayurveda, it’s believed that warm, cooked foods are easier to digest and help in postpartum recovery. These foods provide the necessary nutrients to replenish the mother’s strength.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter): Ghee is considered a superfood in Ayurveda. It’s rich in healthy fats and supports digestion, making it especially beneficial for postpartum healing.
- Ayurvedic Spices: Spices like ginger, cumin, and turmeric are known for their digestive and anti-inflammatory properties. They can aid in digestion and reduce any inflammation in the body.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated is essential for overall health, but Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water or herbal teas to help with digestion.
Herbal support for building immunity
Along with the diet, ayurvedic herbs can help build strength, boost recovery, and help the mother return to daily life. Some of the ayurvedic herbs that can help with this are:
- Shatavari: Shatavari is known for its ability to balance hormones and support lactation, making it beneficial for new mothers.
- Ashwagandha: This adaptogenic herb can help reduce stress and promote emotional well-being during the postpartum period.
- Riphala: Triphala is a combination of three fruits and is often used to support digestive health, which can be especially important after childbirth when digestion may be sluggish.
Other medicines are Dashamoolarishta, Dhanwantaram Kahshayam, Saubhagya Shunthi etc
Include self-care practices
Self-care is just as important as rest and nutrition for postpartum healing. During this time a mother experiences a range of emotions so it is important to find self-care practices to manage them. Take some time each day to do something that you enjoy, such as reading, taking a bath, or spending time in nature.
Self-care can help to reduce stress, improve mood, and boost energy levels. It is important to find self-care activities that work for you and that you can fit into your busy schedule.
Here are some ideas for postpartum self-care:
- Take a warm bath or shower.
- Listen to music while nursing the baby or having a bath or whenever you get some me-time
- Go for regular walks if possible in nature.
- Spend time with loved ones.
- Regular massages are ideal as it help in regaining strength and restoring blood circulation after the strenuous process of pregnancy and delivery.
- Take that crucial nap.
- Do not compromise on eating healthy and on time even if the whole schedule largely depends upon the baby’s schedule.
Along with this Ayurvedic practices like abhyanga can assist in building mental and physical strength and rejuvenate the body.
In conclusion, following these steps can help in building postpartum wellness and also help the mother to recover and restart her normal life. But it is also important to consult an Ayurvedic doctor in order to get a tailored approach to follow during the postpartum and take Ayurvedic treatments if necessary.
Embrace Ayurveda with Alveda
Alveda is a platform facilitating global connections between patients and Ayurveda experts for online consultations. Offering proper treatments for various health issues, Alveda stands out by providing a Free Pre-Ayurvedic Consultation. Whether addressing health concerns or lifestyle-related issues, our platform connects individuals with expert guidance. For a detailed lifestyle consultation, reach out to our experts at Alveda.