Diabetes from the point of view of Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, diabetes is called Madhumeha Kshaudrameha which means “excessive urine with sweet taste like honey”. These are classified based on the imbalance of predominant doshas of the individuals (10 due to kapha , 6 due to pitta and 4 due to vata ), and physical appearance of urine. Ayurveda treats Diabetes & Diabetes Complications through Panchakarma and other classical Ayurvedic therapies and medicines, transformed into time bound personalized treatment plans. Ayurvedic treatment requires a strict regimen that typically includes a carefully calculated diet, planned physical activity, home blood glucose testing several times a day. Staying physically active and exercising regularly, maintaining a constant weight and eating a healthy diet are all invaluable. To reduce Kapha, patient should follow the kapha-pacifying diet, especially avoiding excess intake of sweets, carbohydrates, and dairy products. Ayurveda’s root-cause focus , simultaneously treats the symptoms and the underlying cause of Diabetes . Diabetes is a metabolic kapha disorder in which diminished functioning of Agni (digestive fire) leads to a tendency towards high blood sugar. To control high blood sugar, Ayurveda uses different herbal medication. As each case is individual and the cause of diabetes depends on the type of Dosha, treatment and medication also depend on many factors. Therefore, it is important to consult an Ayurvedic specialist before starting any treatment and taking medication.
There are two types of Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition in which the pancreas can no longer produce insulin to control your blood sugar naturally. Patient have to take insulin in order to manage blood sugar to remain healthy and avoid serious complications. Having enough insulin is critical because this hormone is responsible for helping to regulate blood sugar and keep it in a healthy range—not too high (hyperglycemia) and not too low (hypoglycemia).
- Type 2 Diabetes. Type 2 diabetes occurs when blood sugar levels become elevated and it develop insulin resistance. During insulin resistance, body is no longer able to effectively respond to insulin, making it unable to fully absorb and use the sugar from the from the food you eat for energy. As a result, that sugar then stays in your blood, and can eventually bring about a chronic condition that can lead to serious health issues if it is not treated and managed.
Devastating thoughts and emotions
Take from life only the pleasant things, learn to create for yourself a world around you that will bring you joy and starvation. In the case of both of these diseases- Deficiency of pleasure
Tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of diabetes
- Put one cup of water in a copper vessel at night, and drink the water in the morning
- Add turmeric to your daily diet – to control blood sugar levels
- 1/2 tsp of ground bay leaf + ½ tsp turmeric, mixed with 1 tbsp aloe vera gel. Take the mixture at least twice a day before lunch and dinner
- Ginger tea helps stimulate digestion that is beneficial in reducing the excess kapha in your system