Dental caries from the point of view of Ayurveda
Dental caries are damaged areas on the hard surface of the teeth that turn into tiny holes or openings. Tooth damage can occur when bacteria in your mouth generates acids that attack the tooth’s surface, or enamel. This can lead to a small hole forming in the tooth, called a cavity. If tooth decay is not treated, it can cause pain, infection, and even tooth loss. As tooth decay advances, it can cause regular toothaches, increased tooth sensitivity to sugar, as well as hot and cold food and liquids. If the tooth becomes infected, an abscess or pocket of pus can form and cause mild or even strong pain sensation, facial swelling, and fever. People of all ages are prone to tooth decay. According to Ayurveda, imbalance in three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha), causes all diseases. Imbalance in Kapha dosha can lead to dental problems. If you have cavities, the best solution is to get tooth fillings and consult a dental surgeon. Medications can suppress the symptoms and treat the causes of the cavities to avoid them further developing in the future.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat Dental caries
Dental health in Ayurveda has strict principles for a daily routine to maintain dental and oral health. Specific practices such as oil pulling (Gandusha), brushing teeth with charcoal, tongue scraping, are daily practices which help to keep the entire oral cavity clean. Oil pulling has. Sesame or coconut oil more subtle effects on the rest of the body as it eliminates accumulated toxins. Oil pulling effectively strengthens teeth and gums and has been practiced in Ayurveda for thousands of years.
Tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of Dental caries:
- Have a good oral hygiene routine
- Limit foods high in sugars and starches, limit snacking
- Eat nutritious and balanced meals
- Do not use tobacco products, if you’re a smoker try to cut down or quit
- Toothache associated with dental cavities can be effectively prevented by using cinnamon and clove oil
- Use of herbal tooth powders made up from neem powder and salt can be beneficial
- Lemon juice kills the germs and helps in easing pain caused by the cavities