Dandruff from the point of view of Ayurveda
Dandruff is a very common skin condition experienced by most people in their lives. It is itching of the scalp and shedding tiny white flaky particles. Dandruff tends to affect not just the scalp, but also the eyebrows, the ears, the beard (for men), and the hairy part of the chest. Causes of dandruff are: naturally dry skin and a dry scalp, chronic constipation, too frequent use of shampoo, other skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis allergies to certain cosmetic products, such as hair sprays, dyes and shampoos, stress or insomnia. Dandruff is found in the minor disease category, in Ayurveda, they are called Kshudra rogas. While the symptoms of dandruff are visible on the head externally, it's an internal problem. Ayurveda treatment for dandruff depends on the underlying cause. Primarily, dandruff occurs due to an imbalance in three doshas — Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Kapha and Vata dosha are predominant in causing dandruff. Vitiated Vata dosha causes dryness of the skin, and excessive Kapha creates oiliness.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat dandruff
Ayurveda reminds us that everything in our body is connected to the largest Universe, and therefore all solutions are found in nature. Ayurvedic oils such as amla oil, indigo oil, sesame oil, and coconut oil are an intensive hair treatment that helps in preventing hair loss, scalp irritation, dandruff, and premature greying. With its soothing earthy scent, the oil helps in cooling and soothing the scalp. It also provides relief from the itchiness and greasiness caused by dandruff.
We encourage you to consult our Ayurvedic doctor if dandruff is severe and does not improve even after using other treatment methods.
Tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of dandruff:
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight, make them into a paste and apply to your scalp
- Oil the hair with natural oils
- Lemon juice is effective for dandruff treatment — massage your scalp with two spoons of fresh lemon juice, and let it sit for a minute
- Put freshly squeezed aloe vera gel directly on your scalp, it helps to naturally get rid of dandruff
- Tea tree oil has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, that help reduce symptoms of dandruff
- Apply baking soda directly to wet hair and massage it into your scalp, wait for a minute or two, then shampoo your hair as usual