Cervicals Spondilosis from the point of view of Ayurveda
Cervical spondylosis is a chronic degenerative condition of the cervical spine that affects the vertebrae and inter vertebral disks of the neck . It is also known as neck arthritis, because the cervical spine is located in the neck region. Cervical spondylosis is caused by the war and tear of the discus in the cervical area of the neck. In most cases, cervical spondylosis is an age-related disease. But even youngsters are now coming with these complaints. Most common problems arise from untimely food habits, intake of junk food, consuming less water, poor sleep patterns, heavy exercise, carrying heavy weights on the head, neck or shoulder, driving long distances, poor reading or writing posture, stress, anger, excessive use of AC and fans, sitting long hours in front of the computer as well as advancing age. Apart from these, genetic factors, obesity and smoking may also play a role. Cervical spondylosis can cause chronic, severe pain and stiffness.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat Cervicals Spondilosis
Ayurveda refers Cervical spondylosis as Sandhigata Vata , and this diseases is caused by a Vata Dosha aggravation in the body. The aggravated Vata dosha gets accumulated in the neck region and this leads to degeneration of the dhatus ( tissue) and leads to depletion and dryness of the Kapha dosha resulting in stiffness and pain in the cervical region. Ayurveda treatment focuses on calming the Vata Dosha .
A poorly functioning digestive system causes a metabolic waste called Ama to be formed. When this penetrates the joints it causes inflammation and compounds joint problems.
The treatment for Cervical Spondylosis is comprehensive and may include Ayurveda internal medicines & external applications . Ayuveda Panchakarma therapies , diet and lifestyle modifications are applied in the treatment scenarios. Ayurvedic t reatments that are usually given for Cervical Spondylosis are:
– Greeva Basti – is bathing the neck region with medicated oil or freshly prepared herbal decoction,
– Patra Pinda Sweda – t he treatment is done by heating medicinal leaves ( like Eranda , Nigundi , Shigru ) with herbal ingredients and tying in a muslin cloth to form a bundle. This bolus of medicinal leaves are dipped in warm medicated oil and used for massaging to afected area,
– Abhyanga – massage with warm medicated oil may be done to relieve stiffness and pain in the neck
– Nasya – nasal installation of medicated oils into the nostril to improve the nerve strength.
– Basti – medicated enema may also be given as it brings down the vata dosha and helps in faster recovery.
Others therapies like Elakizhi, Shirovasti Sarvangadhara, Navara are usually done based on discretion of Ayurvedic doctor .
Ayurvedic treatment for spondylosis uses herbal formulations to calm the Vata Dosha. Medicines that are usually prescribed internally are Sahacharadi kashayam, Dhanvantaram kashayam, Dashamooladi kashayam, Rasnasaptaka kashayam, Gandharvahastadi kashayam, Balaarishta, Ashwagandharishta, Abhayarishta, Yogaraja Guggulu.
Only an expert Ayurveda physician will be able to help with a specific treatment plan you after consultation.
Devastating thoughts and emotions
The neck symbolizes flexibility. Ability to see what is happening next to and behind you. Problems with the neck are stubbornness, unwillingness to see, hear other opinions.
More tips for prevention and Ayurvedic treatment of Cervicals Spondilosis:
- Lack of physical activity also weakens the muscle structure
- Avoid sitting in the same position for long period
- Stop smoking ! Smoking aggravates the symptoms
- 1 tspcastor oil – once or twice a week before bed helps in cleansing toxins and balancing Vata,
- Garlic: Eat a few raw garlic buds on an empty stomach every day,
- 1 tsp of turmeric + glass of milk and heat it on low flame . Add a honey and drink it,
- Sesame oil – massage into the afected area
- Drink ginger tea twice a day
- Ghee – it is a natural Vata pacifier and nourishes the nerves as well.