Anal fistula from the point of view of Ayurveda
Anal fistula is a small tunnel that develops between the end of the bowel and the skin near the anus. Usually, a fistula develops as a result of a focus of infection near the anus. Inside the anus, there are several glands that make fluid. Sometimes they are blocked or clogged. When this happens, bacteria can build up in the swollen pockets of infected tissue and fluid. Medically it is called an “abscess”. If the abscess is not treated, it’ll grow until it makes a hole in the skin somewhere near the anus so that the substance inside it can drain. According to Ayurveda, this condition is called Bhagandara. The most common symptoms of Bhagandara are: pain, redness, swelling around the anus, also bleeding, painful bowel movements or urination and fever.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat anal fistula
Ayurveda offers safe and effective Ayurvedic treatment methods for patients suffering from fistula. The main treatment line for fistula includes using Kshar Sutra, which is a special medicated thread processed in different types of strong alkali and herbal powders and has the power to penetrate the skin, cut channels and heal the tracts.Using that thread, an Ayurvedic doctor performs the cutting, curetting, draining, and cleaning the infected fistulous track and promotes faster healing of the anal canal. The procedure is performed under local anesthesia to reduce pain and discomfort.
The procedure is repeated and the thread is changed and can vary up to 5 times depending on the severity of the condition.
To find out more about Ayurvedic treatments for anal fistula, please book an appointment with our doctor.
More tips for prevention and Ayurvedic treatment of anal fistula:
- Strictly follow a customized diet plan
- Have regular physical activities
- Avoid sitting for long periods
- Ginger tea is an ancient home remedy that calms the digestive system
- Cloves is a good antibacterial and antiviral agent – add a few to your tea
- Mix tea tree oil with olive oil and apply this mixture on the affected area
- Oregano leaves oil has healing properties to cure fistula
- Turmeric powder with milk + honey to make a healthy and tasty drink